ADVENTIST DEVELOPMENT & RELIEF AGENCY (ADRA)
Finance Director Advertisement
Position Title: Finance Director
Duration of Contract: 24 Months (Renewable)
Location of Post: Arusha, Tanzania
Date of publication: 23rd February 2023
Deadline for Application: 10th March 2023
Report to: Country Director
Supervises: All accounting staff
Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a faith-based humanitarian non-governmental organization in Tanzania. ADRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer driven by the purpose statement to serve humanity so all may live as God intended.
ADRA has been operating in Tanzania for more than 40 years providing development and humanitarian assistance. ADRA in Tanzania is currently seeking an experienced, self-directed Finance Director for its Country Office in Tanzania.
Job Purpose: –
The Finance Director leads the Finance and accounting unit and is part of the Administrative Management Committee (ADCOM). The position is responsible for ensuring that ADRA in Tanzania complies with donor requirements, local government financial regulations and the ADRA Accreditation and Licensing (AAL) financial management standards.
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the finance department ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained, providing efficient delivery of services.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance staff through adequate orientation, on-the-job coaching, identification of learning, training needs and opportunities (e.g. in accounting, SunPlus, grant management, risk management, leadership, etc.); and succession planning.
- Providing cost analysis, promoting benchmarks, and making recommendations for determining effective resource utilization at all levels.
- Coordinate the planning and budgeting process and provide technical support, to ensure best practice and donor guidelines are met.
- Coordinate the submission of timely, accurate and complete relevant reporting to the stakeholders (partners, government, donors etc) and to board members.
- Manage appropriate financial systems and controls and ensure they are in place to avoid significant financial risk.
Budgeting and budget Controls
- Maintaining and updating the country office annual budget planning /forecast, master budget and funding allocation schedule for management decision making.
- Coordinate with the department heads, and Program director to come up with yearly budget and ensuring this is funded fully.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of financial models to track the budget, expenses, and any variations.
- Develop reports to respond to request for budgetary information and existing funding gap/Situation.
- Budget preparation and modification of proposal budgets and reviewing and advising on proposal cost recovery and justified to make sure the proposal budget is reasonable and realistic for the project needs.
- Review the journal transactions and run monthly review for data quality and ensure all transitions are in line with ADRA cost classification.
- Has in-depth technical and administration knowledge to connect the financial and non-financial information to generate insight and recommendation for program effectiveness.
- Track grants processes and milestones for all awards through the grants cycle ensuring relevant information and documentation is disseminated to relevant staff in a timely manner.
- Facilitate project kick off meetings ensuring relevant staff and partners are aware of their financial and compliance obligations/requirements.
- Review current grant progress against original plans and log frames, identify areas of concern and ensure remedial actions are taken.
- Support the tracking of donor financial disbursement against signed contracts and prepare request for financial disbursements from donors as contained in the project agreements.
- In coordination with the program teams, flag any issues that may impede the implementation of project work plans or cause deviations from the set award course by initiating revisions, modifications, and No-cost extensions as necessary and follow through by signing and dissemination of the same.
- Support best practices on grant closure procedures and monitor compliance to grant closure steps/milestone.
- In coordination with relevant staff, design, maintain and inform internal procedures, systems, and tools to facilitate partner compliance with contractual obligations to donors.
- Carry out internal financial reviews to ensure that donor guidelines are implemented and followed, including financial, procurement and administrative aspects.
- Travel to the project sites/offices and carry out contract management training of staff through inception workshops, coaching and mentoring in setting up systems to monitor key accountabilities e.g. co-financing, exchange rates, interest and budget rules in line with contractual requirements.
- Conduct partner capacity assessments and plan capacity building sessions in conjunction with the field staff.
- Facilitate internal and external audit procedures in conjunction with the donor compliance team.
- Support program teams in the interpretation and operationalization of donor rules and regulations.
Staff Capacity Building and Structure:
- Incorporate staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process. Establish a result-based system and follow up.
- Ensure there is capacity building plan for staff in place for the whole year.
- Ensure staff understand their job description and can perform their duties, have clear work plans, performance objectives are in place and their capacity is strengthened.
- Must have at least a bachelor’s degree with at least 10 years’ experience in finance or a related field or a master’s degree with at least 7 years’ experience working in finance and accounting environment. Must have working knowledge of SunPlus accounting software.
- Having an additional recognized professional qualification e.g ACCA, CIMA, CPA will be an added advantage.
- Has been an accounting supervisor or manager.
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others
- Knowledge and skill: Core Humanitarian Standards, NGO Code of Conduct
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively.
- Ability to use financial system (SunPlus) to track accounting activity is required.
- Extensive experience in proposal budget formulation and reporting.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should apply via our online application portal https://www.adratanzania.org/job-openings/ .Kindly attach your cover letter with contact details of reference persons and CV in English. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The deadline for receiving applications will be 10th March 2023.